Sunday, July 23, 2006

Butterfly orchid rescue


We are blessed or should I say were blessed with a Florida native orchid called a butterfly orchid in our yard. I discovered the plant one day when outside waiting for the dog to get on with the morning ritual. Every June it bloomed and I would photograph it. I had to use a ladder to get close. Hurricane Wilma did beat the orchid up a lot, so I wasn't surprised that it didn't bloom this June. However, a week ago, during my almost daily check of the plant I noticed it was GONE!
Fortunately it wasn't really gone but it was in dire straits. I rescued it yesterday and hope to save it and put it back onto a pond cypress tree.
Here is the rescued orchid atop a section of a pine tree that crashed down from a previous storm It fell on top of the native and endangered bromeliads almost crushing them. You can see some of these plants as well.

No comments: